Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience:  18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.

I have a lump on the palm of my hand just below my middle finger,

I have a lump on the palm of my hand just below my middle finger, right on the joint. It feels like the size of a small pea and seems to move a little when pressure is applied. No pain. Also what type of dr. should I see?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Haroon Iqbal replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer!

The lump you have seems to be a ganglion.A ganglion is a small lump which develops next to a joint on the tendons etc.I develops by the lubricating fluids of the joints or tendons and it gets concentrated , with a sheath around , and moves with or without pain. It is a mucous cyst.It needs surgery if it causes pain or hinders normal function of hand , otherwise , it is harmless and needs no surgery.I will advise you to see a general surgeon.

Hope i have answered your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much. Do you know what would cause this? I do clean houses for a living and put lots of presure on that hand. I do feel I should go to a doctor to get a firm diagnosis...Should it be a dermatolagist?

Thank you again.
The simple reasons causing this conditions are pressure on the joints or a trauma which would press the tendon sheath ,causing the leakage of the lubricating fluid which gets thicker later on to cause a lump.NO , the right person is general SURGEON.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One more question. Will it continue to get bigger, if I continue to apply presure?
I don't think so , because , once the fluid has dried up to form a cyst with a covering , it will not grow any more.But if it has not dried up completely , it may grow a little more.
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience: 18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.