Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor
8227957

My SGOT and SGPT are low. for SGOT the range is 15-37 and mine

My SGOT and SGPT are low. for SGOT the range is 15-37 and mine is 12. for SGPT the range is 30-65 and mine is 24. I have read that elevated levels are signs of liver disease but mine are low. I also have a 3 cm liver cyst. What do the lower levels mean and are the lower levels & cyst correlated? (I am having a liver ultrasound in the next month). My mother died of pancreatic cancer (age 83).

Sorry for the sufferings.

I need to know some points regarding your query so that I can answer better.

Why the tests were taken?

Do you have any symptom?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My doctor ordered a liver panel & lipid panel. I have recent dx of hyperlipidemia. He started me on on 5 mg Crestor 2 pills 2x/wk on Monday & Thursday. I assume he is checking to see if Crestor has any liver effect. He at 1st didn't seem worried about the 3cm liver cyst (which initially showed up in the background when I had an echocardiogram, which caused him to order the ultrasound for more detail since mother died of pancreatic cancer). I am concerned I may have a liver disease. I don't know if this is pertinent but I take 35 mg of indomethacin HS for migraine prevention. Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My doctor ordered a liver panel & lipid panel. I have recent dx of hyperlipidemia. He started me on on 5 mg Crestor 2 pills 2x/wk on Monday & Thursday. I assume he is checking to see if Crestor has any liver effect. He at 1st didn't seem worried about the 3cm liver cyst (which initially showed up in the background when I had an echocardiogram, which caused him to order the ultrasound for more detail since mother died of pancreatic cancer). I am concerned I may have a liver disease. I don't know if this is pertinent but I take 35 mg of indomethacin HS for migraine prevention. Thanks No sysmptoms

Thank you for the information,

SGOT & SGPT reference levels may vary between labs.

For most of them they are 5-40 & 5 - 56 usually.

http://www.medicinenet.com/liver_blood_tests/page2.htm#3whatare

In liver diseases the levels are elevated , often many times.

Crestor can cause impairment of liver function.

In that case the levels will be raised.

Low levels like yours should not be concerning.

In pregnancy (which is not a question here) or in vitamin deficiency there can be a low level.

I hope this information helps.

Happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.