Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD
14307416

My right hip hurts when I walk. When I sit down my leg hurts.

My right hip hurts when I walk. When I sit down my leg hurts. I have not done anything strenuous to bring this on. Can you give me an idea of what the problem might be?
What part of your hip hurts when you sit down?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My hip doesn't hurt when I sit down, only when I walk. My leg hurts when I sit down. The top part of my hip hurts when I walk.
Do you run or play any sports?When you say your leg, what part of it hurts when you sit down?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not run or play any sports. My entire leg hurts when I sit down. Although, it does hurt a little more toward the back and down the outter side.
How long has this been going on?Did anything trigger it?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has been going on for about a week. I have not done anything physical that could have brought this on.
Does the pain start at you buttock and end at your knee , or go all the way down to your foot?Does it hurt more when you bring your knee up to your chest and straighten your knee?

Edited by Dr B on 4/11/2010 at 3:38 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It goes all the way down to my foot.
Does it hurt more when you bring your knee up to your chest and straighten your knee?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It hurts when I bring it up toward my chest but not so much when I straighten it.
It sounds to me like you have a classic case of sciatica, here is a link for you

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sciatica/DS00516

Let me know if you have any further questions