Dr.Sawhney, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MS

I have a dislocated broken rib on my right side, number 7 rib.

I have a dislocated broken rib on my right side, number 7 rib. I have had pneumonia recently, and was given augmentin for one week, then given Leviaquin for two weeks after the pneumonia had gone to double pneumonia. This all started with a very quick infection of sinusitis. I also have Osteoporosis. I have been to a pain specialist now & have made an appointment for nerve blocker injections for next week. The possible risks of the injection are concerning me, and that is why I am asking if the results that may stop the pain while the rib heals outweigh the possible risks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Sawhney replied 6 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER-ltpy34o-

The injection for blocking the intercostal nerve is very gratifying in pain relief.Though every invasive e procedure carries a small risk but this injection has got v very low chances of complications in experienced hands.

I think you should go ahead with nerve block.A very important benefit is that you would be able to take deeper breaths which is beneficial considering the history of pneumonia you have.