Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery
206912

My hands turned very blue today for no apparent reason. The

My hands turned very blue today for no apparent reason. The color came back within in fifteen minutes. Then turned blue an hour later for approx. 10 minutes. The color was drastic. I did not feel bad, nor were my hands tingling...just a little cold. Any ideas?
You will want to discuss this issue with your doctor.

Color changes in the hand can be due to changes in blood flow to the hand, and sudden changes such as this can be seen in a condition called Raynauds:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/raynauds-disease/DS00433

which are color changes in the hand, which are temporary, due to the blood vessels in the hand spasming.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My understanding is that Raynauds causes discoloration in white, blue, and then red. I only experienced blue. Also someone said it would cause tingling...which I did not have either. Could it still be Raynauds?
Well, sure it could. It typically has this color change, but every person is different.

The blueness can be from poor blood supply to the hand. And it does typically cause tingling (similar sensation to your hand "going asleep").

But most importantly, you have changes in the color of your hand, which happen suddenly, then resolve within a few minutes. Sounds very suspicious.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When you say "sounds very suspicious"... does this mean suspicious like it could be Raynauds or suspicious like it could be something else? Sorry for not understanding.

In your opinion is there likely to be any other causes? I am just nervous about heart problems or something. I don't think I have any reason to be I just ran a 10k a week and a half ago with no issues.

Could it just be poor circulation in general, I am often cold.

Sounds suspicious for Raynaud's.

While poor circulation could be a reason for blueness in the hands, it would be very rare in a 29 year old. And there is the fact that most of the time, you have no problems with your circulation.

Heart issues often tend to cause other symptoms, such as chest pains or trouble breathing or irregular heart beats, not temporary changes in hand color.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok! Thank you so much with your promptness in responding.

Two final questions, what would be possible treatment and do I need to see a doctor immediately about this condition?