Doctor Marcus
Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US Trained, US Board Certified MD, Medical School Faculty Member

when is it safe to exercise after using a little bit of cocaine

when is it safe to exercise after using a little bit of cocaine? I am worried because i am in great shape but i have been using cocaine for the last 2 weeks, i have been getting sleep but i have been using little amounts everyday with a day or 2 off in between, i have no heart disease and i feel good but now i am putting it away. Do you think I damaged my heart?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Marcus replied 6 years ago.
Greetings. There is no safe amount of cocaine to use. The concern is that, especially when exercising, your blood pressure will increase to an unsafe level causing you to have a heart attack or stroke. The other issue with cocaine is that even small amounts of it can make the coronary arteries in your heart spasm and precipitate a heart attack even if you are young and do not have other risk factors for coronary artery disease. If you were to stop using cocaine, it would be best to wait at least 2-3 weeks to exercise, because even though the cocaine gets out of your system in several days, the effect on the heart and blood vessels does tend to persist for a while.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i need more info, and if I haven't use it in 6 months since 2 weeks ago. I know its bad but not running for 2 weeks is a long time

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The relatively small benefit of running on any one day is far out weighed by the significantly increased risk you have for heart attack or stroke in the next week or two until the effects of the cocaine are completely out of your system.