Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
27521838

I have a soft raised round bump on the inside of my wrist.

I have a soft raised round bump on the inside of my wrist. I've had it for about three weeks and it's not changing. It doesn't hurt unless I bend my hand just beyond perpendicular. What is that? A cyst? A lympph node that's not draining?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 4 years ago.
Any other associated symptoms? Any signs of inflammation?
Is it firm and located in close proximity of wrist joint?
please tell whatever seems related to this?
What is size of the bump?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
(Possibly related) Perhaps strain from postures in yoga...If i push on it I can "hide it." If I move my wrist around it'll pop out again. I could take a pic and email it to you...the size of a small gumball
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 4 years ago.
Hi , thanks for the inputs.

From the details and symptoms I am quiet sure its a Ganglion.

Ganglion cysts are among the most common benign soft-tissue masses. Although they most often occur on the wrist, they also frequently develop on the foot – usually on the top, but elsewhere as well. Ganglion cysts vary in size, may get smaller and larger, and may even disappear completely, only to return later.

Ganglions are small sacs (cysts) filled with clear, jellylike fluid. They often appear as bumps on the hands and wrists, but they can also develop on the feet, ankles, knees, or shoulders. A ganglion can grow out of a joint capsule, which surrounds and protects the joint, or out of a tendon sheath, which covers the tendon (the ropelike fibers connecting muscle to bone). Most people with ganglions notice that the bumps appear suddenly.

Causes
Although the exact cause of ganglion cysts is unknown, they may arise from trauma or physical activity– whether a single event or repetitive micro-trauma.

Monitoring, but no treatment. If the cyst causes no pain and does not interfere with activities, the surgeon may decide it is best to carefully watch the cyst over a period of time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask if I have left any of your query unanswered.

Please take a moment to post a ‘POSITIVE FEEDBACK' .It will be warmly appreciated and won't cost you.

Thank you. Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It feels like it challenges my wrist joint on that side to do wrist bending postures. Will it worsen if I bend the wrist or put weight on it? I really want to do yoga again. Is there anything I can do to expedite healing?
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 4 years ago.
Hi , At times its difficult to predict behavior of gaglionic cysts, most are known to increase in size with increased physical activity.

What i would suggest is continue your yoga and try to reduce strain on wrist.You can probably avoid few exercises which put more strain on wrist. As for healing there is nothing which can be suggested apart from this.

Keep watch on the size and rate of growth of ganglion.You may consider a primary consultation with a surgeon. And lastly surgical removal will be last resort, though i would not suggest it right now. Wait and watch would be the policy right now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please ask if I have left any of your query unanswered or if there are any doubts

Please take a moment to post a ‘POSITIVE FEEDBACK’ .It will be warmly appreciated and won’t cost you.

Thank you. Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any way to drain synovial fluid? Massage? Herbal Supp's?
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 4 years ago.
No these means wont help. You may find such recommendation here and there mostly on net. But i would advice you not to try them. Drainage won t help as cyst usually communicates with wrist joint and will reappear soon.

Thank you. Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.