Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

Is is normal to get dizzy spells after a heartattack, and stent

Customer Question

Is is normal to get dizzy spells after a heartattack, and stent being inserted?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 years ago.
This could be normal
How long after
describe these please
any associated symptoms?
dt
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My father had a heart attack 2 weeks ago and have been feeling dizzy often after that, he had 2 stents put in on Saturday and still get dizzy spells, Is this normal or is there a nother problem? the only did the angiogram on our request,
Dizzi spells might be a post operative problem, since he is beyond anesthetic effects.
is he still in the hospital?
dt
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No he came out on Monday but the dizzyness started before they put in the stents(after he had a heart attack 2 weeks ago). He has no colestrol is in great shape, no blood pressure problems or sugar problems. No smoking or drinking.

His ekg also never picked up a heart attack, only simptons. he did start fainting wednesday and came in and out of consciosness he then got taken up in icu and they did the stents on saturday but werent really convinsed that that is the problem.

I can see why they are not convinced.
If the dizziness is related to cardiac ischemia, then the stents should eventually improve the symptoms, perhaps not right away but the longer it goes the more likely it is that the dizziness is unrelated.

Fainting can be for a lot of reasons and is often not cardiac related. Vaso vagal responses [where the peripheral circulation dilates due to a vagus nerve stimulation] can occur from many stimuli, sometimes urinating, standing up, sometime at the beginning of a meal, etc.

I'm certain his heart rhythm was monitored in the hospital so if there was nothing abnormal during the fainting then cardiac arrhythmia as a cause for this is unlikely.
An important question though is what is his cardiac function like....the ejection fraction, which they should know by now. Poor cardiac function can contribute to syncope [fainting] and is more serious than just fainting due to vasovagal symptoms.

Medications can cause syncope. Sudden drop in blood pressure. Underlying systemic illnesses such as adrenal insufficiency and diabetic neuropathy as well as hypothyroidism. Syncope can also be related to narcolespsy.
Dizzy spells alone can be related to neurologic disorders and inner ear problems and perhaps all of the cause of syncope as well.

Of concern now is that he not continual fainting and injury himself. If the sents don't help, I would ask next about his ejection fraction and other possible heart problems.
Good Luck
dt
_____________________________________
Please click accept to give answer credit. Bonuses and positive feedback helpful and appreciated. Answers for informational purposes only.