TheSurgeon
TheSurgeon, Doctor
Experience:  General Surgery
26533498

After having a double neck fusion (C4&5) the next morning I

After having a double neck fusion (C4&5) the next morning I was unable to walk. My right leg kept folding out from under me. I was sent home with a walker. For the last 6 mo's. I have had pain in my groin area to hip, which still causes my knee to fold (but I now control it) the pain even hurts to put my foot on the brake peddle when driving and walking, the more walking, the more pain. Kneeling is painful and causes swelling and burning. My left arm has electrical surges when I bend my neck down. I have numbness (right side) from my breast down and up to the shoulder area (unable to distinguish hot from cold). My bones (right side) are always burning, hip, leg,and back. Pressing when sleeping on them sets them on fire and stings.
Category: Medical
Expert:  TheSurgeon replied 4 years ago.
What was the original reason for the surgery? Trauma of some kind? Osteoarthritis?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Originally it was a pinched nerve in my right arm. Then my surgeon said I had Osteroarthritis and had 3 bad discs in my neck. One was what he called very bad and the other was flat. He said he would fuse them and take care of the pinched nerve at the same time.He also says he can do nothing more for me because the surges in my arm are not coming from the neck. My neurologist says they are and I KNOW they are when I bend my neck down

Have you had EMG (nerve conduction) studies?

Did the leg/foot troubles happen immediately after the surgery? Does the foot "drop" or is it any movement that is hard?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
EMG yes and fine. nerve conduction yes, I'm not exactly sure I understand it. First time I saw him he said nerves were ok. second time he (as I told you) said it was scare tissue. Next morning after surgery I got up out of bed to go to the bathroom and had to cll nurses for assistance. Yes foot has dropped and I tend to drag it. About a month after surgery I stubbed my toe and appartently broke it ( the toe nail is still black) but didn't realize it because there was no pain. I also had an injection of prednzone, cortizone and laticane in my surgeons office and didn't feel it and an injection at the hospital in the groin area and never felt it even though the Dr. administering it (Latacain) said it would hurt. I felt nothing. The knee seemed to collasp when my heel would hit the floor but not on the toes.
Yes I would have to agree this is very frustrating to deal with and figure out what went wrong. The nerves supplying the leg don't exit the spine at C4-C5, this is what I can't understand. You should try neurontin or gabapentin for relief of the burning/shooting pains. Has the surgeon said that the foot symptoms are "normal" after a procedure like this?? I'm curious what he is telling you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He says he doe not know why I have burning. He does not know why I have groin& hip pain. He does not know why I have numbness and he cannot help me with my arm surges because its not coming from the neck and will no longer see me. I have already (in 6 mo's) lost my housekeeping business of over 20 yrs. because I can't work and can no longer even keep my house. Do you know why I have burning, numbness, groin & hip pain and electrical surges? Not knowing what has caused all my pain makes me worry that I have something very bad that no one seems to beable to diagnose. Can you? The knee I have learned to control and find it is not so bad when I limit my walking.

I can't diagnose this over the computer; but i'm very suspicious about the neck surgery. You should ask your surgeon if he messed up, or seek a second opinion and get a lawyer. Certainly get a second opinion from a neurosurgeon.

The leg symptoms are not normal following neck fusion. Best of luck to you.

If there is anything else I can answer, I will always keep dialog open after payment. And please consider a bonus and positive feedback. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know what causes numbness and burning? Can it possiby be the neck surgery?
Numbness and burning is from nerve damage. You had a surgery on your spinal cord. The numbness and burning could be caused by the surgery. You need to seek a second opinion from another neurosurgeon, I don't think this is normal.
TheSurgeon, Doctor
Experience: General Surgery
I'm going to refer you to a neurosurgery college. He will give you the best advice about what you should do next. Please wait for his answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't feel your information is worth $75.00 but I guess your just not able for whatever reason to diagnose the 'cause' of any of my 4 symptoms. Do you have any suggestions as to who I should see for a 20nd opinion either in CT. or Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC? Thank you for your time
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.

Hello.

Unfortunately, the computer just erased my answer, so I have to start again.

As mentioned above, a second opinion is important here to ensure that there isn't anything surgically correctable here.

While your neurologist is correct in saying that much of this probably is unfortunately permanent without any fix - some of your symptoms, such as the left arm pains when your neck is bent forward could be potentially correctable.

Other symptoms, such as the numbness, burning, and weakness on one side seem to best fit with possible spinal cord injury, and the fact your numbness starts in the upper chest seems to fit with a lower cervical spine injury.

So, it is important to get your old hospital records, including operative notes and operation records, and get this second opinion.

The Hospital for Special Surgery primarily is Orthopedic surgeons who perform spine surgery, but has a very good reputation when it comes to spine surgery:

http://www.hss.edu/orthopedic-spine-service.asp