Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Chronic nose bleeds, 2-3 times a day, my head at the top hurts

Chronic nose bleeds, 2-3 times a day, my head at the top hurts a lot the last 4-5 months, I am taking Rampril for high blood pressure,very tired all the time, a scratchy throat left side only right at back in windpipe will appear at any time and I cough until I choke water does not work then it goes away.

Greetings.

The chronic nose bleeds are likely related to your inadequate control of the blood pressure. All those people who have high blood pressure have a risk of nose bleeding, if the blood pressure is not properly controlled, so you need to get it checked periodically and get the medicine changed. The other reason of getting the medicine instead of Ramipril is your cough, which is very well known side effect of it. Once the medicine is changed, your cough would stop. A good control of BP is likely to stop the nose bleeds also.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Last 2 checks of my blood pressure have been normal not high so it seems to be in control if thats what you mean. Also why my head at the top always hurts like a heavy weight on my head, another strange thing I have sometimes when I wake up in the morning and I turn my head my eyes dont follow and cant keep up like everything is not working together.

Thankyou

You are very welcome.

If your blood pressure is controlled, you doctor need to look for the other causes like following (especially with your other symptoms);

1) nose and sinus infections due to virus, bacterial and allergy.

2) nose septal deformity

3) Mucosal irritation; irritation of the internal lining of the nose due to dry, hot weather and topical nasal sprays.

4) Growth in the nose and sinus

5) Bleeding disorders

6) Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia; associated with recurrent bleeding from vascular anomalies.

7) Recurrent injury due to picking the nose

If an ENT (ear, nose and throat) specialist has not been consulted, that would be helpful in ascertaining the cause and instituting the management.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun