Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate

Hi, my daughter has been on a Z pack for 5 days, which ended

Hi, my daughter has been on a Z pack for 5 days, which ended on Wednesday. Saw the dr. yesterday who wanted to switch her to biaxin. We learned on here that Biaxin and zithromax should not be taken together. Dr. says the infection still looks active. Commonly, Z pack needs to be taken twice with her and her cousin.

Dr. now wants to continue to treat her with another Z pack. Does she take it after the ten days are up? Begin now and just continue with one pill?

Or, would you even give her any further medication for this.
thanks.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
You should NOT take this together as this can increase the risk of cardiac arrhythmias, specifically what we call QT prolongation.
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Board Certified in 2 Specialities & US Medical Graduate
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX why we went back to the Z pack. Dr. said it should be fine, anther expert here told us NO>

Dr. has phoned in another Z pack....should she take it to continue on it? Should she take it after the 10 days are up?

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
She can take the z pak back to back - and if a 6 pill pack - she just takes 1 pill per day - and do not double up on the first dose.
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Wilson, thank you, XXXXX XXXXX am still not clear on what you are telling us to do.

It's the two pills day 1, then the four more pills for a total of 5 days.

She is on day 8, of zithromax being "still working" in her body. Do you mean that she should wait the whole 10 days or begin taking one pill today on day 8? Wouldn't that be too much?

Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Yes,
I understand the 2 pills on day 1 - but if she is already on the z-pak and starting a second pack - she does NOT need to redose for 2 pills for day 1, just take 1 pill per day for 6 days. I hope that helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry, evidently I'm not being clear here....thank you for answering but what I am looking for is:

-does she begin on day 10, rather than day 8?

-does she pick up on day 8 (today) with just the continued dose of the one daily pill?

Thank you for your help, very much appreciated. Also, she just got switched to flonase from nasonex. Is this OK? And should she throw the flonase out after 24 hours if she is still on an antibotic and get a new one? Assuming there may be contamination from the sinuses.

thanks in advance

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Yes,
Pick up on day 8 with just one pill per day. sorry for the confusion.
She can continue to use the old flonase - it should have no affect (You'll be throwing money away for no reason if she starts a new one).
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Me again, sorry!

The flonase is brand new, she has been on Nasonex. Is this OK to begin?

And do we just start up on the same schedule as the nasonex?

thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 4 years ago.
Yes, absolutely..
Dr. Owen, Board Certified Physician