Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I am currently very anemic, losing blood somewhere, very low

I am currently very anemic, losing blood somewhere, very low blood counts, and now have developed green/black stools. What would be causing all of this?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
has any doctor checked your stool for occult, hidden blood? is your anemia iron deficient?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am iron deficient, and currently taking iron pills. not sure about stool. I do know I did do stool sample to the local blood annex.
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
It sounds like You are definitely bleeding from somewhere in your gastrointestinal tract. This would cause iron deficiency anemia. I am surprised that they did x-ray studies of the upper and lower GI tract and then did a capsule endoscopy before doing a colonoscopy and gastroscopy. Most often a gastroscopy or colonoscopy will reveal the bleeding lesion that an x-ray may not determined\. For example you may have what is called and AV malformation which is a small blood vessel that can bleed and cause anemia but can only be seen by gastroscopy or an arteriogram. Usually capsule endoscopy is reserved for those patients who had GI bleeding with negative upper and lower endoscopy. I would a quite competent to the 2 endoscopies will determine the source of blood loss and you will then be able to have appropriate treatment depending upon what it is. I would appreciate followup.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we went the route they did, because I an EDG amd colonoscopy in Dec. 08, and insurance needed the other information before doing another round. The capsule was inconclusive, as it went though my system in an hour. The lower bowel x-ray (barum) did the same thing. My tests were done in an hour. I just don't understand why it takes so long to get results. This has been going on since the end of January.
Expert:  Internist replied 7 years ago.
I still feel the endoscopy will give the answer