Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I have severe pain in the left tip of my pinky finger. I could

I have severe pain in the left tip of my pinky finger. I could cry and pain is so severe if I hit it the wrong way just at the tip near the nail. I get a feeling of tensions along the side of my palm it fell as if its in the tendons tightening soon after the pain starts to subsides. I have had an MRI nothing showed. Consultant though it might be a Golmus tumour, but nothing showes.
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/questions/2xixw-i-have-severe-pain-in-the-left-tip-of-my-pinky-finger-i-could#ixzz0js5I0BVM
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 years ago.
Have you had an MRI of your cervical spine [neck].
Have you had an EMG?
dt
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have not had an MRI on my Cervical spine. Emg yes but nothing of interest to the consultant
You need an MRI of the cervical spine.
There could be a disc impingement on a cervical nerve and if it is specific enough it could case this type of pain.
You should have an x ray of the hand to examine the joint contours.
If they got a look at your finger with the MRI machine while you are there, this would possibly show a ligament or nerve problem as well.
Good Luck
dt
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The pain mainly occurs when the finger is impacted/hit by an object. Recently pulsing pain while relaxing, but not severe. Hard to get my head around something in my neck causing this pain in my finger. Thanks for your help

Vertebrae in about the middle of the neck run an ulnar distribution, which is by the pinky, but one would indeed expect the pain to be more wide spread.
What you describe could be repetitive stress injury, affecting the local ligaments/nerves, again for which MRI is the best imaging [on the hand].
dt
___________________________________
Please click accept to give answer credit.
Bonuses and positive feedback helpful and appreicated.
Answers for informational purposes only.
dt
___________________________________

Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc