DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Why does it feel like my blood is boiling at night?

Customer Question

Why does it feel like my blood is boiling at night only when laying down? All blood tests have come back clear. Thyroid tests are normal. Have high blood pressure,skin is cold to touch. I’m on medications Cardizem 360mg, olmatec plus 20/40mg, 100mg aspirin, per day.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. S RIAZ replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.

Do you have any other problems besides that?

What medications are you taking?

Could you please explain what you mean by blood is boiling?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

High blood pressure, skin feels cold to touch.

Cardizem 360ml,zocor 80mg, olmetec plus 40/25mg,100mg aspirin per day.

What medications are you taking?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
cardizam 360ml,zocor 80mg, olmetec plus 40/25mg,100mg aspirin per day

Warmth could be a side effect of cardizam. Cold sweat may be a side effect of olmetec. Still, I would advise you to get a thyroid profile to rule out a thyroid disorder.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.

I notice the other expert has opted out of the question.
What time of day do you take your meds, each?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Blood pressure meds in the morning, Zocor 80mg at night and aspirin during the day.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.

Do you monitor your BP at home?
Do you know when it is highest:
Morning?
evening?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Have a home monitor, seems to be highest mid morning.

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.

My theory on this is that, you, for whatever reason are having a sympathetic nervous system response at night, or hormonal for that matter, they would be related. The other expert is correct that medications can cause side effects but what is interesting is this time dependency. A "fight/flight response, if you will, or a surge of adrenalin at night would cause a sensation of heat, sweating [and thus cold skin from the sweat and constriction of blood vessels in the skin] and perhaps other symptoms. Hence, "my blood boils" which could also happen from extreme anger, giving the same hormonal and neurologic responses.Thyroid hormone status could relate to this and getting a lab called a TSH to screen for imbalances is not a bad idea.
It often takes time and practice to know when the best time to take a medicine is.
If you are taking regular cardiazem, then it should be in divided doses. Even so, fluctuations in the calcium channel blockade might set off your symptoms. Consider trying the various extended release forms of cardiazem
In addition to thyroid screening, have your electrolytes checked, since you are on a diuretic; also renal function, if this has not been done recently.
I think the key to your situation will be medication timing and form.

DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.