Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.
5101698

I have one swollen upper eyelid for over one month now. No

Customer Question

I have one swollen upper eyelid for over one month now. No redness, burning or discharge (occasional itch). My opthalmologist and optometrist have indicated eye allergy. 20/20 vision. My opthalmologist, however, indicated during the exam that my swollen eye appears slightly set back from the other eye in the orbit and that my cheek on that side is slightly protruding. I am in the process of using steroid drops prescribed to me but want to ask you a few questions-would allergies cause a continuous swelling in one eye? My eyelid is less swollen upon waking up in the morning but gets worse as I go through the day-could a serious systemic disease cause various degrees of eyelid swelling or would the swelling be more consistent/constant? The eye doctor noted that the "glands underneath my eyelid" are swollen - what are these glands and why would they swell? I'm concerned about enopthalmos and want to know if eye swelling is a symptom of this and what are causes-would I have other symptoms?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Can you confirm that there is no redness?

Is the entire lid swollen or only a portion of it?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have no eye redness - sometimes the eyelid does get a dark red when the eye swells and gets itchy. Mainly the area near the eyelashes swells
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Thanks

Allergies would generally cause swelling in both eyes - especially if it had gone on for a month or longer.

With allergies the lid would be red and the swelling would usually be worse in the am and improve through the day.

Systemic disease would cause bilateral symptoms - as in thyroid eye disease - the symptoms can vary from eye to eye. - I assume your TFT's have been checked already.

The glands would usually swell in response to allergy or infection.

Enopthalmous is simply an observation that the eyeball ( the globe ) is residing further back in the bony orbit than would be the norm - it is not associated with lid swelling per se.

Dr Jef

Please get back to me if you need to.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Jef, what do you think could be my issue then? I don't have a thyroid condition. My eyelid is less swollen in the morning and more swollen as I go through the day.

What might cause this? Would a serious underlying disorder cause intermittent swellinjg or a consistent swelling in the eye? Is there any other reason for the glands under the eyelid to swell up?

Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

The most common cause for this would be a Chalazion - but I would expect that your own Dr would have told you that.

Allergy can cause quite a bit of swelling under the eye-lid - the appearance is quite characteristic.

It would be very , very unlikely that your symptoms herald a "serious" disease.

Dr Jef

http://hcd2.bupa.co.uk/fact_sheets/html/chalazion.html#2

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Jef, last question please - in terms of systemic disease - what might I have my doctor look out for if my eyelid does not get better. What medications would be effective in getting eyelid swelling to go down.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Answer was very vague - did not get back to me on follow-up question posted 3 hours ago. Can another eye specialist answer my original question please?
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

I was not on-line when you posted your post on 29th March.

Consequently I could not reply...

Dr Jef

If you would like me to answer your "last question" let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Jef - thank you for your note - yes, I would like you to please answer this for me as a final question - if this is an infection or tumor of the lacrimal gland, would I have eyelid swelling on/off or other symptoms - I do have a swelling near my eyebrow that I am concerned about and am wondering if this could be causing the eyelid swelling or if the eyelid swelling is causing the lacrimal gland (if that is what there) to swell? What symptoms might I have if I have a lacrimal gland issue
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

The lacrimal sac sits on the outside portion of your upper eyelid - the bit furthest from your nose. Your swelling seems to be more diffuse?

An infection would caused redness and tenderness localized to that area.

A tumor would be considered exceptionally rare - but for sure would cause progressive ( as opposed to variable) swelling in the same area - but with no redness.

Dr Jef

I will be on-line for the next two hours so if you get back to me I can reply.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Would a lacrimal gland tumor cause on/off swelling of my eyelid? My eyelid swelling is better in the morning but gets worse as I go through the day.

Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Lacrimal gland tumors can present with a slight fullness in the upper lid - at the end of the lid away from the nose - the swelling would be constant and NOT variable.

Dr Jef

Are you anxious that you have cancer?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Jef - Unfortunately, I am someone who looks up symptoms on the internet and immediately identifies with the worse possible scenario there could be. My eyelid has been swollen for over one month (like I indicated - not always swollen but sometimes worse than others and itchy) - I've noticed that in addition to my eyelid swelling, I have a slight swelling on the upper outer part of my upper eyelid - near my brow - which led me to the lacrimal gland issue. I don't know if eyelid swelling would be a symptom of a lacrimal gland problem or if I would have other symptoms - I don't have any pain or vision loss/issues, so I am hopeful that I have an allergy or a minor infection of some kind that will explain one month of on/off swelling.
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Wow you really have got yourself way to worked up about this!!

Lacrimal gland tumors are very rare.

It is much , much more likely that you have an entirely benign problem.

You need to make your own Dr aware of your fears so he/she can reassure you.

Is this type of thinking a common problem for you?

Dr Jef

Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dr. Jef, yes, unfortunately. I tend to think the worst rather than the most benign explanation for my medical problem. Thank you for all of your attention and input to this matter.
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.
Hi

You are welcome!

Check out the link below - you may find it helpful.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Health-Anxiety-A-Self-Help-Guide.htm