Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.
5101698

my 9 year son licks his fingers before touching things and

my 9 year son licks his fingers before touching things and hates having his nails cut. He says he can't stand the sensation of touching things, why might this be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Any other problems with behavior , social interaction or at school?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes I am afraid he get's very angry and frustrated. He is very clever but works better on his own as he is easily distracted. He does have friends usually girls but doesn't often want friends home to play.

When he was small he didn't grow for over a year and was tired alot so with the doctors say so i tried a gluten free diet and things improved. he has now been having a normal gluten diet for a few months and has continued to grow normally.

Thank you

sally

Expert:  Jef Burk replied 6 years ago.

Hi

How long have his fingers been a issue?

Can you give me some examples of when he licks his fingers?

Is he a happy boy would you say?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It's hard to say when this started, maybe 6 months to a year. He has never liked his nails being cut, but got very upset and angry tonight when i cut them. We have been through the mill as a family, i had to leave a man that turned out was grooming us, he is now in prison. He abused children from a previous relationship, not mine as far as i know.

He licks his fingers to touch paper, the computer and likes to sit with his fingers in or around his mouth. he sucked his thumb as younger child.

We have a lot of fun together but i think i would describe him as sensitive and experiances extremes of emotion. he can be happy but also angry and often feels like the victim when there is no need.

hope this helps

sally

Expert:  Jef Burk replied 6 years ago.

Thanks

Both his dislike of having his nails cut and fingers in / around his mouth are very common in children.

For sure thumb sucking ( or similar ) can be a comfort to children who are emotionally stressed but it can also simply be a a habit that they get into.

To be honest in your case I do not think that there is a serious problem.

If you start to notice lots of problems across all his areas of interaction then I would need to reconsider my answer.

Think this over and please get back to me if you would like to talk with me some more.

Dr Jef

PS I have a 14 year-old who I still catch sucking her thumb !!