Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.

I have a hydrocalyx on my right kidney that occasionally aches.

I have a hydrocalyx on my right kidney that occasionally aches. Is this normal, or should I be doing something about it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

What sort of obstruction caused your problem?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I only know that it appears to be a membrane that divides the upper lobe from the rest of the kidney on an IVP. I believe I was once told by a urologist that it was probably congenital. I had a lot of urinary tract infections in my late teens-early twenties and had 1 or 2 kidney infections, which is why I went to a urologist in the first place.
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Thanks

I do not think that you should really have any pain with this.

If there is a fever associated with the pain then we need to exclude / treat infection.

If there is no fever then we need to exclude kidney stones.

Can you tell me about your pain in some more detail?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is an ache. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say it is a 5. It's just uncomfortable and occasionally, not all the time. I can't even say when it begins to ache.

I saw this "ask the expert" and it is aching right now so I thought I'd ask.
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Thanks

How often do you have the ache?

Have you any urinary symptoms - pain passing urine , passing urine more often?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No pain passing urine. I urinate frequently because I drink lots of water, especialy to flush my kidneys.

The achiness comes and goes. I cannot predict it. I may get this achiness for a day, once a month.
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Thanks

That rules out infection.

If you had stones then we would expect very severe pain.

I must conclude that the symptoms you describe are not the result of your kidney problem.

Dr Jef

Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.