Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

ZOLOFT (SERTRALINE HYDROCHLORIDE) titrating off

ZOLOFT
(SERTRALINE HYDROCHLORIDE) titrating off
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 years ago.
Can you please elaborate your question? Do you want to know how to wean off SERTRALINE HYDROCHLORIDE? What is the dose of SERTRALINE HYDROCHLORIDE that you are taking? Please let me know. Regards

Edited by Dr. Shahzad on 3/26/2010 at 4:47 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes i want to ween off. i am on 50 mg
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 years ago.
The best way to wean off antidepressants such as SERTRALINE HYDROCHLORIDE is to do it slowly i.e. to reduce the dose about five to ten percent every week but this should be done in the supervision of your treating doctor. For example if you are taking a tablet you can cut a small piece of the end of a tablet. Tablet cutters are available in the market which are not expensive and can be used to cut pills. You can just roughly cut a small piece off the tablet and then increase slightly be every week until you are off the medication. When the dose is reduced to such an extent that you may not be able to cut the pill syrups or oral solution of the medication may also be used to wean off. Regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i dont have a doctor for this. Cant i just wean off myself?
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 6 years ago.

It would be entirely your decision to wean off yourself. In any case the way to wean off is to wean off slowly and gradually to allow your body to adapt. The best way to wean off the medication is to wean off in the way that I have described in my previous response.

Kindest Regards