Caring doc
Caring doc, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist. MBBS,MD

I have holes in my hands. Should I be worried?

I have very tiny holes about 30 to 40 in the palm of my hands, more specifically following the creases/lines, the skin looks very dry and the patch is bit rough than the rest of the skin. Its not itchy. The holes were on my right palm but I now have about 10 on my left palm. The holes are closer to the wrist.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Caring doc replied 6 years ago.
What do you mean by holes ? Are there any scaly lesions on the palm? Since when do you have this complaint?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The skin looks like its got tiny punctures, like it has been pricked with a needle and skin removed or rather looks eaten away in a tiny circle. In some areas skin, is still there, but it has a sunken look.. Today I did notice that it is actually a bit itchy. The skin is dry, but I wouldn't say it is scaly. It becomes scaly when I have poked the holes and the skin flakes off. I have had this maybe for 3 months on and off. It is spreading, that's why I got concerned when I saw it start same area on other palm. The holes are concentrated following the lines/creases but also few were there are no lines. Skin is becoming rough/hard.

It seems that you are suffering from contact dermatitis or atopic dermatitis. Topical steroid creams are of limited benefit. You might benefit from the use of Ceramide containing creams e.g Impruv which help restore epidermal barrier. Additionally Dimethacone containing creams have also found to be helpful. Refrain from frequent hand washing especially with normal soaps as this disrupts normal ph of the skin promoting peeling. Syndets( new generation cleansers) with a pH approximately 5.5 should be used in place of ordinary soaps.You might also need to see an allergist in case it does not resolve to identify the causative agent.