Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Specialist in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology

lower throat lump of pain....upper throat slight swelling

lower throat "lump" of pain....upper throat slight swelling on both sides...can feel it through my eyes sometimes....will cause me to loose my voice....has come and gone 4 times in 6 months. Z-Pack did not kill it. Negative on strep test. Once had a SEVERE sore throat.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Davidson replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, and thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your concerns, and I hope to help. Based on your description I'm concerned about a couple of possibilities. First, I'm concerned about a chronic peritonsillar infection or abscess. It sounds like you may have had a case of strep throat or otherwise in the past, and this could have caused a nidus or small area of chronic infection. I realize that you've taken antibiotics, but the two you mentioned really are ineffective against strep bacteria. Second, you mentioned that your voice has been affected, and I'm therefore concerned about a possible abnormality with your vocal cord or the area that surrounds the cords. Small nodules or growths can occur after an infection, and can persist for months. Fortunately, both conditions have excellent treatment options, but the initial goal should be to make a correct diagnosis. To this end, I think you may benefit from a CT scan of your neck looking specifically at your mouth/throat area. This will help identify any abscess or source of infection. Second, you may want to consider visiting an ear, nose and throat specialist. They are best equipped to look at your vocal cords to make sure that they are functioning normally and are not impaired by a growth or otherwise. They can also look into acid reflux which, when severe, could contribute to the symptoms that you describe. If you follow these recommendations, I believe you will find the correct diagnosis, and I hope this information helps you get the treatment you need. I wish you well. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
....first you deserve thanks for your prompt respose! Also note that I have an appointment with an ENT a week from today.

My symptoms seem to be occuring again and are I will surely loose my voice again. I cannot continue to have this happen.

One of the things that seems to come with this is an itchy feeling on my head around my ears on both sides. And itchy eyes..

I should let you know that I am fit and I am quite healthy with the exception of this, which confuses me...

With your permission, I will share your answer with my local ENT.

Of course. My goal is for you to get the treatment you need, and I'm glad you're seeing an ENT physician. It may actually help to see the doctor while your symptoms are recurring. I wish you well, and if you get a chance to click "ACCEPT" on my behalf, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's how I get credit for my work. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX