Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have cloudy discharge when urinating. I also have 3 o4 small

I have cloudy discharge when urinating. I also have 3 o4 small (2mm and smaller) red dots that periodically appear on my penis. the tip of my penis also burns slightly when i urinate. these symptoms started about 1 month after unprotected sex.

Have you had any testing done? (urinalysis?)

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no. I have spoken to the girl and she said that she has never had any of the symptoms that i have mentioned. the only problems i have are with the redness on the tip of my urethera after ejaculation or urination as well as the cloudy urine. the dots dissapear quickly, in a day or two.
Thanks,

The fact that the girl does not have any symptoms should not prevent you from being tested for STD's. Women can have asymptomatic infections (meaning no symptoms).

The symptoms that you are describing are suggestive of urethritis, which is inflammation/infection of the urethra. This can be caused by gonorrhea/chlamydia or other STD's.

These cause cloudiness of the urine, redness of the urethra (tip of the penis), discharge from the penis, burning with urination.

The red dots that you are experiencing may also be signs of infection or irritation.

It is very simple to test for urethritis with a urinalysis and also very easy to treat with antibiotics. I encourage you to see your GP for an exam.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is urethritis only caused by an STD or can there be other causes?

No, it is not always an STD.
It can be caused by other bacteria (ureaplasma or mycoplasma).

But, most commonly it is sexually transmitted.

Dr Abby

The fact that it started one month AFTER unprotected sex for you makes it less likely to be gonorrhea or chlamydia, though.

Usually, it will start within a week or so after unprotected sex if it is one of these.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

thank you.

how long do these symptoms last if untreated. can i wait a month or two until i get home, as i am currently working in a foreign country, or should i rush to get this checked immediately?

what possible STD's could it be? when it started I used Cifloc 500 antibiotics and this helped a bit, but when I stopped the irritation came back.

It can still be (although less likely) gonorrhea or chlamydia.
It can also be trichomonas.
Herpes much less likely.
It may be non-gonococcal urethritis, which is due to mycoplasma or ureaplasma as mentioned above.

The treatments that are used are zithromax one gram and cefixime 400 mg (which covers both chlamydia/non-gonoccocal urethritis and gonorrhea.

Cipro doesn't cover these well as resistance is seen.

Symptoms will continue until you are treated. I would seek treatment if possible and not wait as they could worsen (move to prostate).

Dr Abby