Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
6554558

My 20 year old just told me she has Rains Disease. She wasnt

My 20 year old just told me she has Rains Disease. She wasn't sure of the spelling. She had complained to her doctor that sometimes her toes appear dark, are cold feeling, and the middle toe is numb (both feet). I have seen the darkness and wondered about it. Her doctor diagnosed this Rains Disease, and I can't find anything in the internet about it! Tell me what it is, is there a treatment, and how is this going to affect her life and longevity?
Hello
The disease is termed as "raynauds disease". It is a rare disorder of the blood vessels, usually in the fingers and toes. It results in a particular series of discolorations of the fingers and/or the toes after exposure to changes in temperature (cold or hot). Its exact cause is not known till today but blood vessels in the hands and feet appear to overreact to cold temperatures or stress. However, treatments can reduce the number and severity of Raynaud’s attacks. Treatment includes medications like Nifedipine. It works by 'opening up' the small blood vessels and helping circulation. Angiotensin blocking vasodilators block the effects of angiotensin, which is the chemical produced by the body to make the blood vessels narrow.

For more details , click here:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/raynauds-disease/DS00433/DSECTION=causes

Hello

The disease is termed as "raynauds disease". It is a rare disorder of the blood vessels, usually in the fingers and toes. It results in a particular series of discolorations of the fingers and/or the toes after exposure to changes in temperature (cold or hot). Its exact cause is not known till today but blood vessels in the hands and feet appear to overreact to cold temperatures or stress. However, treatments can reduce the number and severity of Raynaud's attacks. Treatment includes medications like Nifedipine. It works by 'opening up' the small blood vessels and helping circulation. Angiotensin blocking vasodilators block the effects of angiotensin, which is the chemical produced by the body to make the blood vessels narrow.

For more details , click here: