Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Hi Doctors,I have white lines on my tongue for about a month

Customer Question

Hi Doctors,I have white lines on my tongue for about a month now.It almost feels numb where the lines are.It is at it's most in the morning,threwout the day it seems to calm down.If need be i can attach a picture.I should include that i am 30 years old non smoker but have not been to the dentist in 15 years! I have an appointment on the 25 of march but these white circles are really making me worried.When these lines are at there worst i have a cough.I did a complete blood work last month and everything seemed fine.Please help
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Greetings.

Do you think that the white lines appeared when you washed it with the alcohol?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well it was about a month ago and thats how long those lines have been there,so yes i would say it's possible.IF seeing a picture would help just let me know.

Please send the picture. You can do that by clicking the tree icon on this page where we reply each other. You can also send it to any file sharing site and post a link here.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried my best but my camara would not focus.If you zoom in maybe you can see the white lines at the tips of my tongue?graphici am not sure if you got the image

The image has not been attached here on the page.

Let me at the outset tell you that it does not seems to be anything serious or concerning. The most worry is about the cancer, and I can assure you that cancer does not present like the white lines. So if you are worrying abut it, just relax. This seems to be just desquamation (removal of the cells from the surface) of the tongue due to alcohol. Since you keep cleaning it frequently this is persisting. Just do not rub it strongly with the tongue cleaner for 5-7 days and it should come back close to normal as the cells will regenerate again.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you say (just don't rub it with the tonge cleaner for 5-7 days you are refering to what ,my toothbrush,toothpaste? I only rubbed alcohol on my tongue that one time.Not sure what you where refering to?

Yes, I meant it by the brush. If you clean the tongue, do it just mildly and only once so the healing will take place spontaneously.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Last question Is there a reason that it is worse in the morning? I assume my coughing is not related?

The tongue rests during the night time and in day we have movements of the tongue, so circulation is better and so the lines gets faint during the day. A waxing waning phenomenon again points to its benign etiology (cause).

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A waxin waning phenomenon? I do not understand.Also my cough you do not thik is related.If i can get this last answer i will accept and go to sleep 3am here.

Cough does not seems to be related. Waxing waning phenomenon (changing) means getting darker in morning and than getting lighter in day; so seem to be of nothing concerning.

Best wishes and kindest regards.

Please sleep well.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so just brush like normal and avoid the tongue,should clear up in a few days-do i have this right? Also if it doesn't go away does that mean somthing serious? Thank you Good night

Yes, brush normally and avoid the tongue. It in all likelihood it will clear off. It can take 7-10 days. As I mentioned, there is nothing serious.

Good night.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
And all this from rubbing alchol on my tongue 1 time?

Yes, alcohol do remove the lining and cells from the mucosal surfaces like tongue / lips / inside cheek if applied.

Thank you for trusting me with your question. If you feel that my answer has been helpful, please click on the green accept button to transfer your deposit as payment for my answer. This is the only way I get paid for my answer.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
last question i promise,do you not think it could be a fungal infection in my mouth? Oral Thrush?

Oral thrush usually has a continuous spots than just the lining. Seems not likely to be oral thrush.

Dr. Arun

Just wanted to add; the oral thrush has some predisposing factor like;

1) history of HIV infection,

2) dentures,

3) diabetes mellitus

4) exposed to broad-spectrum antibiotics

5) exposure to inhaled steroids

Dr. Arun