Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery

I have a numb spot on the bottom of my left foot about the

I have a numb spot on the bottom of my left foot about the size of a silver dollar. It has been this way for about 3 weeks. I have no other symptoms. Any ideas on what this could be?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Is this near the heel? Or sole of the foot? Near the toes -- if so, which toes?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is between the arch and my toes. From the middle toe to the pinky toe.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.

Take a look at this link:

This could be an issue with a nerve irritation in the foot, called Morton's neuroma -- which classically involves the area between the middle and forth toes, and can cause numbness or pain in the bottom of the foot.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dr. Mark,

I don't feel like I am "walking on a marble" and my toes do not have pain or numbness. The numb feeling is posterior to my toes but anterior of the arch. It is not completely numb either. I have feeling, just less feeling. You still think it could be Morton's neuroma?

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Well, it could still be -- since numbness in such a specific area as you describe ("silver dollar size") really has to be irritation of a small nerve.

It could be the start of the Morton's neuroma, but just not serious enough to cause the full numbness or pain. It really is a bit tough to say what else it could be if there are no other physical signs or clues in that area.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What would it take to confirm the diagnosis? Is it easily treatable? Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Generally - the first thing is done is to take the pressure off of the area, since the though its that this area is being irritated via too much pressure.

Changing shoes, and getting shoe inserts that help distribute the weight of your foot while walking would help.

If this progresses -- then further evaluation by a podiatrist, and confirmation of the diagnosis would be done, then consideration of an injection of steroids into the area.

Yes, it is easily treatable.