Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Can you take Klonopin and Trazodone on the same day just not

Can you take Klonopin and Trazodone on the same day just not together
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
hello,

Just to clarify, you are not taking all of the medications listed under already tried, correct?
Just the klonopin and trazodone?

Dr abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The only med I am taking Is 1 10mg Prozac plus 1 1/2 Benadryl to help me sleep at night. I have a drs app on Tues. I feel the Prozac isn't working like it should and my body doesn't tolerate very high mg's of meds at all. I have been taking Prozac for almost 6 weeks. Have a couple of friends who currentlly take Klonopin with great results and few side effects. I need something to sleep and night and don't want to depend on Benadryl. The Benadryl just doesn't last long enough at night. I thought taking the Klonopin might be worth a try. Since I have taken the trazodone before with good results I was hoping I could suggest these 2 at my drs app on Tues Or could you suggest some other type of anti-depressant and sleep med for me to take. Also I have had bouts of panic attacks for years. I am retired and looking for some relief. Any help you can offer me would greatly be appreciated.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
I know how terrible it is if you cannot sleep.

The klonopin is not something that is usually recommended long term for sleep. It is a good medication to use for panic attacks intermittently. If you used klonopin on a regular basis (nightly) for sleep, you may become dependent on it for sleep. It is also possible that you would have rebound insomnia when trying to stop it.

The trazodone is often used for insomnia. I am not sure if it helped you in the past for this but it would be worthwhile trying this again if it did. Klonopin and trazodone can be used together, but they can cause increased sedation, confusion, drowsiness and imbalance.

The trazodone and prozac are not recommended together. There is an increased risk of elevated serotinin levels and serotonin syndrome which can be very serious and in some cases fatal.

If you have not tried lunesta or ambien, these are other options for sleep. They are effective for sleep onset insomnia (difficulty falling asleep) and sleep maintenance (staying asleep) insomnia. The risk of rebound insomnia can also exist with these medications as well.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

A couple morequestions for you

Can I stop Prozac one day and start Klonopin the next day?

Also I am currently suffering from depression.It's getting some better I'm not where I want to be. I have tried seen Psychiatrists to no avail. All they wanted to do was to keep increasing my meds which nearly caused an overdose plus a too rapid heart rate. Which I still have off and on thru the day. My heart has been checked via numerous tests and it's fine. Is there any other med besides the Klonopin or instead of this that you would recommend for panic attacks and depression?

Please help me if you can. Like I said in my previous reply I want to be totally prepared for my drs. app on Tues.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
No, you would not want to just stop the Prozac. It is something that you would taper down.
You can take prozac and Klonopin together without problems.

You really may want to consider increasing the prozac to 20 mg if it has helped some. I realize that you are sensitive to medications, but if you have gotten a benefit from it, it would be a shame to stop it. You could also have your doctor prescribe fluoxetine tablets 10 mg and you could try 1 1/2 per day.

Other medications that are very helpful for panic attacks and depression are Cymbalta and Effexor. These would be something to discuss with your doctor as well.

I hope this helps. Let me know if more questions,

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had problems with diarrhea since I started taking Prozac. So I back off of this for a couple of days and then take it again. On the 3rd day of not taking prozac my panic attacks return. This is one of the reasons I wanted to try something else besides the prozac. Could the prozac be the root of my diarrhea? I also have a sensitive stomach.

Thank-you for all your help

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Yes, prozac can definitely be the cause of your diarrhea.
It is a known side effect.

Your doctor may simply switch you to the trazodone since both trazodone and prozac work on serotonin. You may not need to taper off of the prozac first if you are going to start on the trazodone right away and you are on such a low dose of the prozac anyway.

I hope that the switch works for you!

Dr Abby