Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.
5101698

43 year old male..195 and 198 and I am 5 foot 10 inches tall

Hi, I am a 43 year old male. I am in fairly good shape, I serve in the US Army as my profession. In the last 5 to 6 years my weight has stayed between 195 and 198 and I am 5 foot 10 inches tall. Within the last 4 months I have noticed my stomach is getting bigger and sticks out a lot and especially after I eat. The left side seems to stick out more than the right. I also have an uneasy feeling for several hours a day either before a meal or after a meal and it kind of seems like too much of my blood is going to my stomach. About a month ago I was at a Walgreens in the evening and they were checking blood glucose and I had mine checked. It was a 63 at 7PM and I had last eaten at 1PM that day. I am on medication for blood pressure and I take fish oil tablets daily, one in the morning and one in the evening. I am very concerned about this being something serious and I am due for an overseas tour in a few months.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

So your main symptom is abdominal bloating / distension?

Any nausea or upset of bowel habit?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't have naseua. Up to this past January, I was very regular on bowel movements, typcically one a day either in the morning or evening but durng these last 2 months I sometimes have a bowel movement within an hour or two after eating lunch and sometimes with some urgency of getting to the bathroom. I now typically have 2 bowel movements a day since this started. I have also noticed a lot more noise coming from my stomach and it sounds like water moving around but I have only had diaharea perhaps twice once in the last 2 months. I also sometimes feel a little light headedness when I am getting this awkward feeling. Today this akward feeling has been going on since about 11 AM and it is now 5 PM. When this first started in January, I had some days of abdominal pain and a friend said it sounded like an ulcer. I no longer have abdominal pain but these symptoms have now been going on since January. I definitely think the awkward feeling is more prevalent now than back in January.

I hope this helps explain this better.

Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

What has your own MD done about your symptoms?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have not seen him about it. Last time I saw him was around Oct/Nov to check up on my blood pressure and blood pressure medication.

What do you think is going on here and should I make an appointment with him? Do I need to see him ASAP?

Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Yes you need to see him!

Distension and a change in bowel habit suggests large bowel pathology.

You need good physical , lab work and imaging of your large bowel ( barium enema or colonoscopy).

Dr Jef

I need to log of for now but I will check back in with you when i can.

Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.