Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS

My toes turn blue when I sit down. What is causing this and

My toes turn blue when I sit down. What is causing this and how can I fix it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 6 years ago.
Blue toe syndrome is the bluish discoloration of toes as a result of tissue ischemia (lack of blood flow). The syndrome is caused by the blockage of small vessels that lead into the toes.

Blue coloring or Cyanosis is due to poor circulation for what ever reason. The area turning blue is not getting the proper oxygenated blood flow to it. It means that your toes are not getting the proper blood circulation.

The cause can be heart and circulatory system, a respiratory problem in which gases are not being exchanged in your lungs correctly or a neurogenic problem and or any combination of all the above. You need various testing for heart & respiratory causes. I advice you to see your doctor as soon as possible.
Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical examination. So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor & treat accordingly.