Dr. Monica
Dr. Monica, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced U.S. Primary Care Physician treating children, adults, pregnant women, and the elderly.
25897591

I think my Thyroid gland is swollen, what can i do to reduce

I think my Thyroid gland is swollen, what can i do to reduce the swelling as i am coughing alot and cant get any sleep.
Hello-

It would be unlikely but possible for a sudden swelling of the thyroid. If, instead, you think it is possible that your lymph nodes of your neck are swollen, then that is more likely. If you have cold symptoms it is common for the lymph nodes to swell as they try to fight off your infection.

To help ease your cough, you can use a humidifier in your room and try to breath in the moist air. You can breath in the moist air from a shower as well. You can also try to use nasal saline spray liberally to help soothe the mucous membranes and the back of the throat. You can try taking Nyquil or a cough syrup if you have it. Gargling with warm salt water may help. You can also take ibuprofen to decrease the swelling.

If you are having a difficult time breathing, have rapid heart rate or other concerning symptom, you should probably be seen urgently.

Hope this helps, please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Best,
Dr. Monica
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can you show me a picture of where my lymph nodes are?
Sure, let me try to find a good one. I will be back in a minute.
Here is a site that shows where the specific lymph nodes of the neck are located. Keep in mind that usually only some of these are swollen in response to a cold or upper respiratory infection:

http://meded.ucsd.edu/clinicalmed/head_lymphnodes2.jpg

Here is also a good diagram in order to help you decide if neck swelling is an emergency:
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/tools/symptom/514.html

If you have further questions please let me know.

Best,
Dr. Monica
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I took so long to come back, fell asleep at last.

Yeh, going by the diagrams and it looks like i might have the goiter.

I will try and see my doctor by Monday, anything I can do in the mean time?
Hello- if you think you have goiter, there is nothing you can do to help yourself for now, except increasing iodine in your diet if you think it is low (as this is a possible cause of goiter.) But if you developing concerning symptoms such as high heart rate, difficulty breathing, or other worrisome symptom then you may need to be seen urgently.

Here is a great website so you can learn more about goiter and have information so you can better discuss with your doctor on Monday:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/goiter/DS00217

Hope this helps, and thanks for using JA.

-Dr. Monica

Edited by Dr. Monica on 3/14/2010 at 4:38 AM EST