Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

can I take viagra with statins Why do some doctors claim that

can I take viagra with statins?Why do some doctors claim that it is a risk/And why do they not calim the same about cialis/levitra,which are supposedly almost the same thing?Thank You for Your kind answer!Paul

There has been a case report regarding an interaction between Viagra and statins.
Viagra decreased the breakdown of simvastatin, leading to severe muscle aches 8 hours after taking Viagra.
It also lead to an elevation of CK (creatine kinase) which is a muscle enzyme. An elevated CK can be toxic to the kidneys.
It is thought that Viagra inhibits an enzyme involved in the breakdown of simvastatin. This interaction is not thought to occur with some of teh other statins (Crestor, Pravachol or Lescol).

It also does not occur with Cialis or Levitra, presumably because they do not inhibit the same enzyme involved in the breakdown of Zocor (simvastatin)

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have and I will be happy to answer them for you,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!