Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

i urinate 3-4 times per night-my sleep is effected. I got checked

i urinate 3-4 times per night-my sleep is effected. I got checked last yr for enlarged prostate and came back negative. can u help?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

What did you CMG, cystoscopy, uroflometry show?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
According to my doc everything looked normal. I do drink alot of water. I work out and take alot of protein/soy powder. I have always had to go even when I was a kid. i was told I have high liver enzymes at a young age and at every yearly checkup up to now. would that have anything to do with my symptoms? I am not a drinker either. maybe one drink a month.

Your liver enzyme rise is unrelated to increased frequency of urination. There are various investigations which needs to be done to assess the cause of the increased night time frequency;

1) Cystoscopy; a small capacity bladder can be visualized by a camera. The other cause is bladder neck obstruction. A median lobe enlargement of the prostate is sometimes inadequately assessed by the digital rectal examination and ultrasound and cystoscopy can tell if this is responsible for the frequency.

2) Uroflometry tells about the total bladder capacity, peak urine flow, average flow and total voiding time etc, which can point to the cause of your symptoms.

3) Cystometrogram (CMG); this tells about the pelvic floor muscles, sphincters of bladder and bladder muscles.

4) Urine culture; a mild grade urinary tract infection can give night time increased frequency.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
which test would u recommend first?

I would go for CMG and uroflometry first as they are non invasive tests. If they do not reveal anything, than only, I would proceed for the cystoscopy. Urine culture is always an essential investigation.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun