Dr. Dennis
Dr. Dennis, Doctor
Experience:  US GRAD, Board Cert: Internal Medicine, Fellow American College Physicians.
19562837

MY BLOOD WORK CAME BACK WITH lGM SERUM AT 487, IGG SERUM 454

Customer Question

MY BLOOD WORK CAME BACK WITH lGM SERUM AT 487, IGG SERUM 454 AND IGA AT 73. TWO ARE LOW AND ONE IS HIGH. ALSO, MY REPORT READS A FAINT BANK IN LGM AND LAMDA IS PRESENT AGAINST A DENSE POLYCLONAL BACKGROUND. IT STATES THIS MAY REPRESENT A REACTIVE /INFLAMMATORY PROCESS. WHAT KIND OF INFLAMMATORY PROCESS COULD THIS BE? I.E.?URINE SHOWED LEUKOCYTES AT 3+. WBC/HPF IS 13. MUCOUS IS 1+. DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT LAMDA MEANS OR POLYCLONAL BACKGROUND. MY DOCTOR WANTS TO REPEAT THE TEST IN 3 TO 6 MTHS. SORRY THIS IS IN CAPS AS I LOST MY GOOD PAIR OF GLASSES. ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANK YOU why are all different doctors coming on and screen proceeds for me in re input my charge card etc. i already did all of these steps
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Dennis replied 4 years ago.
can you give me the ranges that your report states. Are you having any symptoms...swollen glands, night sweats, weight loss.
Any idea why this was done. what did you tell the doc that made him/her test it.

thanks...

dr d
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tests were done for my cholestrol levels as i stopped my statins. figures are good but my physician want them lower as i have corroded artery disease. The carotid arteries are blocked. i also felt i may have a urinary infection and the test stated no. Right now i have a very bad cold and yes, my head, sinus and neck hurt. I also have now weigh 113 pounds before i was 125. i am 5ft 2 i know my LGa was high i think that was 175. note: i do not eat any junk food, no white rice, no sugar, use coconut oil and have learned u need cholestrol. i also take a drug for tachcardia dilitiazem i think cd is after it and started another blood pressure drug which i cut the dose from 10 to 5 milligrams.
OK first of all you need to know that the tests you have mentioed, which were identified have basically nothing to do with your cholesterol, the statins, what you eat or what you do.

Immunoglobulins (Ig)- a large family of proteins, also known
as antibodies, providing a first-line of defense that protects the body from foreign pathogens (virus, germs, parasites, etc.).

These are protein produced in your blood which can-if elevated-be signs of a disease. You have some idea already because you were told it might be a "reactive or inflammatory "process.
These are divided into five major classes:
IgG, IgM, IgA, IgE, and IgD."

(see this site at your leisure)
http://www.lymphomation.org/tests-immunoglobulins.htm

IGm when elevated can be a sign of a disease called Waldenstroms macroglobulinemia--.

Did they do a urine test as well for antibodies?

However these antibodies may be temporarily elevated and we may never know why.
But at any rate these tests should be repeated (as you were told)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THE URINE TEST CAME BACK NEGATIVE EXCEPT FOR THE LEUKOCYTES AT 3+ WDC/HPF AT 13 MUCUS 1+ AND RBC/HPF OF 3. WHAT OTHER EXAMPLES ON IMFAMATION COULD I HAVE? AND WHAT DOES A FAINT BAND IN igM AND LAMBDA AND POLYCLONAL BACKGROUND MEAN
first of all the list of disease is lengthy, and the word inflammation is sort of a misnomer. It is actually saying that there may be a disease process starting.

Polyclonal gammopathy: an elevation of proteins in which there is a heterogeneous increase in immunoglobulins involving more than one cell line; may be caused by any of a variety of inflammatory, infectious, or neoplastic disorders. (It is impossible to tell which one at this time.)

here is an explanation of how the specific bands are identified and read. We use a test called the serum electrophoresis.Serum protein electrophoresis is used to identify patients with multiple myeloma and other serum protein disorders. Electrophoresis separates proteins based on their physical properties, and the subsets of these proteins are used in interpreting the results. Plasma protein levels display reasonably predictable changes in response to acute inflammation, malignancy, trauma, necrosis, infarction, burns, and chemical injury. A homogeneous spike-like peak in a focal region of the gamma-globulin zone indicates a monoclonal gammopathy. Monoclonal gammopathies are associated with a clonal process that is malignant or potentially malignant, including multiple myeloma, Waldenström’s macroglobulinemia, solitary plasmacytoma, smoldering multiple myeloma, monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significance, plasma cell leukemia, heavy chain disease, and amyloidosis. The quantity of M protein, the results of bone marrow biopsy, and other characteristics can help differentiate multiple myeloma from the other causes of monoclonal gammopathy. In contrast, polyclonal gammopathies may be caused by any reactive or inflammatory process. (Am Fam Physician 2005;71:105–12. )
Dr. Dennis, Doctor
Experience: US GRAD, Board Cert: Internal Medicine, Fellow American College Physicians.
thank you so much for the accept-and I wish you good luck.
Write anytime and ask for me.

dr dennis