Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

What can cause a sudden sharp pain that comes and goes in the

What can cause a sudden sharp pain that comes and goes in the front of my thigh. It happens while I am at rest or walking. I have FMS but I had no trauma to my leg prior to the pain. I was just walking.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.
Is it a new pain? Do you see any swelling or skin color change? Is it like a muscle spasm? is there any pain when you press in there? Do you have any other health issues?

Edited by Dr. Shah on 3/9/2010 at 8:56 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The pain began yesterday around 5pm. I had been grocery shopping with my son who did all the lifting. I was standing at the register when the pain shot through my thigh and took my breath away. It eased up and there was just a hint of an ache in the same area. Later that evening I was sitting down and the pain shot through again. Today the pain is coming more often and is just as sharp. It happens whether I am sitting, lying down or walking. There is no swelling of the muscle or skin color change. It is not like a spasm which I often have in my back due to FMS. There is no pain when I press the area. I have FMS, osteoporosous, some arthritis and I had parathyroid surgery in July of 2009. Due to my FMS I am fairly sedentary. I am 5 ft 3 in and weigh 128. I am 56.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
Based on your information, you don't seem to have any alarming features at this time. there is no swelling, skin color change or pain when you press in there. I see that you have been having this pain off and on in the last 24 hours. Considering the fact that there is no other symptoms, your current pain could be from muscle or bone, possibly a muscle crams or contracted muscle which present like this. Muscle cramps are contraction of a muscle that doesn't relax. Cramps can occur in any skeletal muscle, but are most common in the legs and feet and muscles that cross two joints. Cramps can involve part of a muscle or all the muscles in a group. The most commonly affected muscle groups are: Back of lower leg, Back/front of thigh, Feet, hands, arms, abdomen.

The exact cause of muscle cramps is unknown, but many experts think it is related to poor flexibility, muscle fatigue,overuse or doing new activity. Other factors associated with muscle cramps include exercising in extreme heat, dehydration and electrolyte depletion.
Cramps usually go away on their own without treatment, but these tips will help speed the process: Stop the activity that cause the cramp, gently stretch and massage the cramping muscle, use of heating pad for symptomatic relief. If you have persistent pain then taking pain medication is also beneficial.
If your pain become worse or you develop swelling, skin color change, then you will have to see your doctor for proper evaluation, x ray and blood test to pin point the exact cause.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your advice. I did some gentle stretching and a bit of massage and the pain is still stabbing every few seconds now. I will try some heat and pain meds. If it persists and/or I notice any swelling or discoloration I will contact my doctor for further analysis. I am pretty sure it is not a cramp though. The muscle itself does not hurt per se, just the pin point of pain, like being stabbed with an ice pick. Ouch! There it goes again.......... and again.................
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 6 years ago.
You seem to have very frequent pain, though my opinion is suggestive of muscle pain, still other possibilities do exist, but you don't have any signs to suspect them. Problems like ruptured muscle, vascular problem or bone pain may present like this, that's why I recommended to keep eye on new symptoms which might require further evaluation. In the mean time just carry on with rest, muscle stretching and heating pad. You can also take pain meds as it happening more frequently.