Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Hello,My question is, could a virus affect speech.My

My question is, could a virus affect speech.

My mother-in-law is 64 years old and refuses point blank to see a doctor. She has high BP and is on medication. For over a week now she has had some sort of flu virus and has felt unwell with all the usual symptoms of flu EXCLUDING a raging temperature. She has pain in her sinuses and feels that she has a head cold. Yesterday morning she woke up and her speech was slurred. It is very slight and hardly noticable but it is definately not right.
She does not feel ill today and the flu syptoms have left her. She has had no pain or tingly sensations, no headache at all. She is wondering whether it could be a slight stroke or whether the virus could be to blame. She will not see a doctor.
She feels very much better today.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Does she have any drooping of one side of her face?
How has her blood pressure been?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No drooping to face, she looks normal. Don't know about BP as she will not see a doctor. She has seen a doctor in the past and is currently taking medication for high BP.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you,

Slurred speech can be a symptom of stroke or TIA (which is also known as a mini-stroke, but the symptoms resolve completely), a brain tumor, Bell's palsy (this is associated with facial numbness and weakness), alcohol intoxication or other medication side effects.

Slurred speech is not a symptom of flu or viral infections.

It is something that she needs to take seriously as it could be a sign of something more serious to come (she could have a serious stroke in the very near future).

I know how stubborn people can be and you can only do so much in getting them to seek medical attention. All you can do is inform her that this could be signs of a stroke and a warning of future problems.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have and I will be happy to answer them for you,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States