IVY MD
IVY MD, Doctor
Experience:  USA trained physician in Internal Medicine, Critical Care, Anesthesiology, and Interventional Pain
26532264

What does fat on your liver mean

What does fat on your liver mean?Had ultra sound done because of bleeding, they said I had fat buildup on my liver or in it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  IVY MD replied 6 years ago.
This is called fatty liver, or steatorrhoeic hepatosis and can occur from a really bad diet or excessive alcohol intake. If it's not due to alcohol, then it can be diabetes, hypertension, obesity and dyslipidemia. There are many other causes as well, but these are the most common. Usually when the insult is stopped, the liver heals and is no longer fatty.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I think what they saw is fat on my liver is this possible? And is this still described as fatty liver? The person reading the scan said thaey had not seen it before.
Expert:  IVY MD replied 6 years ago.
You can't really be sure that it's fat on ultrasound. They will need to do more imaging like ct or a biopsy to really diagnose that as fat. I read tons of ultrasound and you can see a consistency that SUGGESTS fat on the liver but you can't be sure with just ultrasound.