Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I had endoscopy. Ihavea nodule inthe middle third of the esophagus

I had endoscopy. Ihavea nodule inthe middle third of the esophagus and gastric antrum erythematous (hyperemic). what does this mean in plain english ?
There are several issues here which need to be addressed. Regarding your anemia the most common cause in a young female is bleeding from menstrual periods. If your periods are normal then it may be that one of the problems cited in the endoscopy reports may be responsible for chronic blood loss. Your spleen being enlarged may indicate that your red blood cells are being destroyed however that usually does not cause an iron deficiency. Also the white cells would tend to be affected. You may get iron deficiency from malabsorption with celiac disease or from chronic bleeding from Crohn's disease but you should have significant diarrhea which you did not mention. Irritable bowel syndrome would not give anemia. Regarding the findings in the esophagus, a nodule in the mid esophagus can be caused by inflammation, and accumulation of lymphoid tissue or a polyp. It is unlikely for a cancer of the esophagus to present as a nodule. The gastric antrum being erythematous means that at the end of your stomach which is the antrum, the lining of the stomach called the mucosa is inflamed and has more than the normal amount of blood flow which is causing a hyperemia. This is A benign finding but may cause anemia.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for educational purposes only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patient relationship.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
does this mean I am dealing with more than one medical problem ?
Yes. The esophagus and stomach problems are one. The spleen is another. In the anemia is a third problem.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for your information only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX relief to just have some dialogue instead of being handed a paper & told to go home & wait.
good luck.