Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.
5101698

Hello, I am 34 years old and I recently (late 2/2010) had a

Hello, I am 34 years old and I recently (late 2/2010) had a blood test where my WBC came back at 18.0 (neutrophils - 14,274, lympcytes - 2538, monocytes - 1044 and the other WBC's were in range). My doctor asked me to come back for another test 4 days later where my WBC count came down to 12.4 (neutrophils - 5704, lymphocytes - 4861, and monocytes - 1327 and the other WBC's were in range). I looked over my history of my WBC tests and I was 10.5 in Jan. 2004 (neutrophils - 5350, lymphocytes - 4173, monocytes - 963) and I was 12.5 in Jan. 2009 (neutrophils - 6350, lymphocytes - 4432, and monocytes 1575). After my latest test, my doctor says he is not worried, but when I started digging into information on the internet I am starting to panic.
Questions:
1) Is my history of my WBC tests something to panic about?
2) My lymphocyte count seems to be increasing? Is this something to worry about?
3) What is considered a high lymphocyte count? My doctor says I have a mild elavation.

Hi

You have nothing to worry about.

Our white cell counts are very variable - neutrophil go up if we have a bacterial infection and lymphocytes if we have a viral infection.

Serious conditions ( such as leukemia) of the blood would show up easily on your CBC.

If you are not reassured then have a chat with your own MD to express your concerns.

Dr Jef

PS - I observe that your most recent CBC is almost identical to your test in 2004.

PPS - please get back to me if you would like to discuss this some more.