Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.

are new freckles normal?

hello i have just notice the last couple of days that ive found new brown freckles on my stomach ? well i think there freckles ... ones like a dark brown colour bump with a lighter brown edge and the others are light brown flat patches on skin all smaller than the end of a pencils rubber end? just want to no if its normal to have new skin freckles or moles appear im nearly 25 years old? and i do love to sunbath on holidays with cream of course , thankyou lisa

Can you please provide more details?

Is there any tiny growth etc or associated signs of inflammation ?

How are the margins of freckles?

Any itching or scaling of skin seen?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no itchy or scaling and any , theres about 3 new light brown patches there not perfectly rounded edges and they are flat so not raised. theres one dark brown round rasied patch looks the larg dark freckle that is rasied from skin and has a lighter brown edge, its right under where my bra would sit, thankyou
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you help in any way?

Thanks for input.

There are two basic types of freckles: simple freckles and sunburn freckles. Simple freckles are usually tan, round, and small about the size of a common construction nail head. Sunburn freckles are often darker, have irregular jagged borders, and may be larger than a pencil eraser. Freckles are thought to develop as a result of a combination of genetic tendency (inheritance) and sun exposure. Two people receiving the same sun exposure may not have an equal chance of developing freckles.

Prevention-- Since we cannot change our own genetic component of freckling, our main prevention measures are aimed at sun avoidance and sun-protection, including

use of sunscreens with SPF (sun protection factor) 30,use of sun-protective clothing (shirts, long sleeves, long pants), avoidance of the peak sun hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and seeking shade and staying indoors. Ideally, freckle prevention is more effective than later trying to remove freckles that have already developed. Freckle-reduction treatments are more difficult and not always satisfactory.

Treatment -

• Bleaching or fading creams: Products containing hydroquinone and kojic acid can be purchased with and without a prescription
  • Retinoids: Sometimes used in conjunction with other bleaching creams, tretinoin (vitamin A acid, Retin-A )also may help lighten freckles when applied consistently over a period of several months.
  • Cryosurgery: A light freeze with liquid nitrogen in the physician's office can be used to treat some types of freckles. Not all spots respond to freezing or burning.
  • Laser treatment: Multiple types of lasers may help lighten and decrease the appearance of freckles safely and effectively. Like cryosurgery, this is a simple and safe procedure with a high success rate and a low risk of scarring or skin discoloration.
  • Photofacials or Intense Pulsed Light treatments are another method to lighten and remove freckles. This is not a true laser technique but an intense light source.
  • Chemical peels can also help lighten freckles and improve irregular pigmentation.

Please ask if i have left any of your query unanswered or if there are any doubts.

I hope I have been helpful to you, Please ask if there are any doubts.

Thank you. Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so can i ask it is normal for new freckles to appare as we get older? and as long as they dont itch bleed or get bigger in size, then its all ok?

Yes its quiet common to have freckles as you get old if you have such tendency. And they are quiet harmless unless they cause any symptoms.

Thank you. Regards