Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery

I just burned my upper lip and a little above it (in the skin

I just burned my upper lip and a little above it (in the skin area) on pizza that came out of oven, baked at 450 degrees. What should I do? I put ice for awhile but was inside a plastic baggie, then later directly (I read that I should have done it directly right away)... Should I put any ointment at all on it? I don't want it to scar of contract.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.
Is it blistering?

When you say above the lip -- did the skin on the face get burned as well? Or just the lip?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Skin on face above lip, too. Half on lip, half on face.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm new to this. Not sure how this works... how to speak back and forth...
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.
OK.

Just to make sure, do you have a blister currently? Or is it just redness and swelling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Redness and swelling... It's swollen quite a bit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It did take off the first layer of skin pretty soon afterward. I may have rubbed off the peeling skin (not knowing I should not have... which I read online later). But I don't see any blisters.
Just seems raw, red, and swollen (big bump).
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 4 years ago.
OK.

Well, ice, as you have done, can help to reduce the swelling in the area.

But as for the actual "burn" -- this is relatively common (you aren't the first person to have bitten into a too hot slice of pizza or a scalding hot coffee).

The area will heal, within several days (usually 7-10 days).

During this time, just keeping the area clean is usually enough to get this to heal correctly. If you have a lot of pain from this area, the use of topical anesthetics (numbing creams) can help with the pain as it heals.

Most burns of this type (from foods) are not bad enough to cause any significant scarring or other problems. If you should still have swelling and pain within a week -- seeing your regular doctor for evaluation would be helpful. The specialists that would deal with severe burn injuries are the plastic surgeons, but that would not be applicable in your case.
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience: U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery