Dr.Brown, Doctor
Experience:  Family Practice

I twisted my ankle on Weds. No swelling or bruising, but it

I twisted my ankle on Weds. No swelling or bruising, but it hurts to walk, and hurts for a while after I walk. Should I stay off of it or keep going? Should I ice it even though it is not swollen?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Brown replied 6 years ago.

If it hurts to walk, I would stay off of it. Use crutches for a short period of time. You can use an ace wrap around the ankle. This can be bought at any drug store. I see no harm in using ice if that relieves the inflammation. Use over the counter pain relievers if needed. If the pain is serious and your ankle is giving way then I would seek medical care from your physician.

If you have any further questions please let me know . If not please click accept. thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what about the ankle braces they sell. are those better than ace bandages? should i keep it wrapped if i need to be up walking around? Will it hurt anything to keep walking?
Expert:  Dr.Brown replied 6 years ago.
Ankle braces are just as good if that feels more comfortable to you. Yes I would keep it wrapped when walking around since that would provide more stability and support for your ankle. The more stress you put on it the longer it may take to heal. It all depends on how badly you were injured and the level of your current pain.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Anything else I should or shouldn't do?
Expert:  Dr.Brown replied 6 years ago.

So keep the foot elevated for the first few days at least a few hours out of the day and try to stay off of it for a few days. Gradually start to mobilize it and do some ankle exercises such as stretching and strengthening exercises . Don't keep the joint completely still. It usually takes 4-6 weeks to completely heal. If your symptoms do not improve, or get worse you will need medical care so see your doctor at the time.

Hope you have a good day. take care.