HouseDoc
HouseDoc, Attending Physician
Experience:  Licensed by the State of New York

WHY DOES THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY HEAD, (SCULL) FEEL NUMB TO TOUCH?

Customer Question

WHY DOES THE RIGHT SIDE OF MY HEAD, (SCULL) FEEL NUMB TO TOUCH? WHEN I EVEN LAY DOWN, I DON'T FEEL LIKE MY HEAD IS ON THE PILLOW. IS THIS SOMETHING SERIOUS?
Category: Medical
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 4 years ago.

There are several things that can cause numbness of the skull. The trigeminal nerve is primarily involved in supplying sensation to the skull. The back of the head gets sensory innervation from C1-C2 cervical nerve roots. Nerve compression is the most common cause of a loss of sensation. It may worthwhile to obtain an MRI of the brain as well as the skull base with contrast to determine of there is any cause of compression. A local neurologist can help you get this kind of a MRI. Furthermore, if you have any history of diabetes the possibility of neuropathy should also be considered.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I do not have diabetes, however, 5 days ago, I fell asleep in my wheelchair, and fell out of it and hit the front of my forehead full force on the concrete in my garage. I have a goose egg their, and this numbness started 2 days later. I didn't know I was falling, so nothing broke my fall such as my hands or arms. I hit it as hard as a person can and I sure was awake after that fall...lol All the bones in my face are very tender to touch, but thr thing that bothers me is the numbness in my head. Could this be related in any way to the fall? And if so what could it "possibly" be? I will pay you more since I have asked another question. Given the little bit of information I have told you, Is it something that could be life threatening? Such as a small bleed in the the head?

Thanks a million, I await your response!!

Sandy

Expert:  HouseDoc replied 4 years ago.

You most likely have trauma related swelling in the area where your suffered the injury. The goose egg that you mentioned is the result of swelling. The goose egg is most likely compressing nerves which are supplying the area of the skull having the numbness. Since you mentioned this was severe head injury, I strongly suggest that you visit your doctor for atleast a CT scan of you skull. During any time of severe head injury sub-dural hematoma needs to be ruled out. This is a bleed inside the skull. These bleeds are more commonly venous and can occur very slowly and as a result not show any effects for several days. A CT scan can help rule out this possibility. Please note that a sub-dural hematoma cannot give you the numbness. I am fairly certain that the numbness is most likely as a result of the head trauma and is secondary to local nerve compression from swelling in the area of the injury.