Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.
5101698

Hi, I am a 30 year old woman with two children. I had a benign

Hi, I am a 30 year old woman with two children. I had a benign phyllodes tumour removed from my right breast in September. No margins were removed as I had been diagnosed with a fibroadenoma and it apparently just 'popped out'. I had a scan in November on another fibroadenoma in the same breast which thankfully hasnt grown and no other lumps or bumps were evident at the time. My problem is this, I have found another palpable mass in exactly the same area as the original phyllodes tumour. I saw a consultant (not the same one that has treated me previously) today and he says he is not particularly worried but will send me for a sonogram and biopsy and recommends just watching and waiting as 'we dont really want anymore scarring'. When I questioned him on the reliability of biopsy as I had previously been misdiagnosed he said 'they must have biopsied the wrong area of the tumour'. I feel I am wasting their time and really dont know who to turn to. Can you help me? Thankyou.

Hi

You are 100% not wasting their time.

A scan and biopsy is entirely appropriate.

If the Phyllodes tumor has returned you will need further surgery.

If the breast surgeon made you feel that you were wasting his time then shame on him - you did exactly the right thing.

Dr Jef

Please get back to me if you need to.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thankyou so much for your answer! How can I make them understand! I know that biopsy is the only diagnostic tool available but the original phyllodes was misdiagnosed using core biopsy! What if it is misdiagnosed again? After being told to wait and watch I have lost faith and am considering going to another specialist. Am I being over anxious about the situation? Thankyou, Vicky

Hi

Your anxiety is well placed and entirely understandable.

However I can see no reason to doubt the competence of your specialist - you have been unfortunate - it would seem that you had two different problems in your breast at once - and they happened to biopsy the more benign portion - anyone could have done this.

Your best course of action is to talk over the results when they come back - and make an informed decision then - if you are keen for further surgery - even if the biopsy is benign - then I would anticipate that any surgeon would go along with what you want.

Hope this helps.

Dr jef

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi, thankyou again, I also have three other lumps in my breast - which he is 'not worried about' - But they were 'not worried' about the phyllodes tumour to begin with. I am sorry to keep going on but today was a really unpleasant situation, made even worse by a consultant who was harried and unbelievably blase. I know realistically my only option is to have the utrasound and biopsy. Do you know of anybody who specialises in phyllodes tumours?

Hi

This is quite an uncommon tumor and I am not aware of anyone who specializes in it.

If you let me know where you live I can do a bit of "digging."

Dr Jef
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thankyou! I'm in Deal in Kent. I really appreciate it.