Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Can you explain to me what is anterior wedging of T7 and T8

Can you explain to me what is anterior wedging of T7 and T8 vertebral bodies,
thoracic kyphosis,
Anterior and lateral osteophytic lipping of the vertebralend plates at multiple levels,
Minor Schmorl's nodes involve the vertebral end plates at several levels within the thoracic spine.
I have had xrays and can only take panodol or panadeine for pain as I have an hiatus hernia. Hoping you can help me
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

Following are the meanings of the technical terms;

anterior wedging of T7 and T8 vertebral bodies = there is loss of height on the front side of thoracic 7th and thoracic 8th vertebra. In our upper back (in thoracic cage there are total 12 vertebra which are given name T1 to T12)

thoracic kyphosis = there is an hunchback of the thoracic spine and this is due to loss of height in the front side of the vertebrae.

Anterior and lateral osteophytic lipping of the vertebralend plates at multiple levels = osteophytes are formed due to loss of a cushion between the vertebrae which acts as a shock absorber. When this cushion called as disc, is lost; vertebral bones come in contact with each other and this friction forms new bone pieces called as osteophytes which have deposited on the front and sides (anterior and lateral).

Minor Schmorl`s nodes involve the vertebral end plates at several levels within the thoracic spine = Schmorl's nodes or Schmorl's nodules are protrusions of disc material into the surface of the vertebral body. Schmorl's nodes are common, especially with degeneration of the aging spine and reflect "wear and tear" of the spine.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Edited by Dr. Arun Phophalia on 3/4/2010 at 10:04 AM EST