Dr. Wajid
Dr. Wajid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (Internal Medicine)

I have a light brown spot on the white in my right eye, what

I have a light brown spot on the white in my right eye, what causes this. I wear contact lenses and my vision is fine I am 48 years old.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Wajid replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to just answer...

The white of the eye is known as sclera...

Brown spots in the sclera are deposits of melanin, creating dark spots on the eye, just as they do on the skin. Pigmentation is hereditary, but other forces can also affect changes of coloration in the sclera.

Sunlight is one cause of pigmentation changes in the white part of the eye. Stimulation from sun exposure causes an increase in the melanin already present in the sclera, which increases the color and size of brown spots.

Certain medications, such as antibiotics, may act along with sunlight to create brown spots in the eyes as well.

Adequate eye protection is important in eliminating the effects of sun on the eyes, including preventing damage.

Sunglasses with excellent ultraviolet light protection should be worn. This protection will diminish the chance of brown spots or lessen those already present, and reduce the development of other troubling conditions produced by sun exposure...

I hope this answers your question... Thank you...