Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

can blood in stool be caused by excessive alcohol I passed

can blood in stool be caused by excessive alcohol? I passed moderate blood today but there was no pain or discomfort. I did have mild to moderate stomach pain two days ago, but not today. What should I do?

Was it bright red blood?
Any clots?
History of hemorrhoids?
Have you ever had a colonoscopy?
Any black or tarry looking stools?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Blood was bright red. Tiny couple of clots. No history of hemorrhoids. Stool was normal color.

I do have heart condition - 3 stents inserted - and taking medicine for over three years now.

Thank you for clarifying.

Excessive alcohol itself can lead to gastritis (irritation or inflammation of the stomach lining). This can cause bleeding in the GI tract but the blood appears as black tarry colored stool or occasionally maroon stool.
Heavy alcohol use can also increase the risk of developing colon polyps which can cause bleeding. Polyps usually don't cause brisk bleeding, but occasionally this can be seen.

Usually, bright red blood is from a source close to the rectum. This can be from hemorrhoids, fissures (painful), or diverticulosis (pockets in the colon). Rectal ulcers can also bleed but usually these cause pressure or some type of discomfort. Infection or inflammation of the colon can also cause bleeding but often the blood is more mixed in with the stool.

I strongly recommend that you make an appointment with your doctor today. The fact that you recently had some abdominal pain and the fact that you do not have an obvious source of bleeding necessitates an exam.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!