Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

i found a lump under my tricep. Along with that, there is strange

i found a lump under my tricep. Along with that, there is strange ache/pain and sometimes that feeling goes under my armpit, along the outside of my right breast, and even around through my shoulder blade. This has been going on for several months. I don't know if the lump and pain is associated but it seems that way to me.
What could this possibly be?
Thank you,
Kim
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 years ago.
One possibility is a lipoma or a collection of fat in a small area. These are generally harmless lesions.
This could also be a small lymph node but being on the tricep is not necessarily in a typical location, although there are more nodes the closer you get to the elbow and to the armpit.
Lipomas usually have a soft, rubbery feel. Nodes are a little rounder and firmer. Both are pretty movable. They generally feel as if they are under the skin and lipomas tend to feel even closer to the service.
Depending on where this lump is and what it is involved with--tendons, nerves--it could refer pain, especially if you press on it. There are benign cysts that from in tendons [ganglion] but this would be an unusual location. This
You should have this examined, although it is encouraging that it has not increase in size for 3 months. However, since there is pain involved I would have it examined, probably with a node exam in general, including under the armpit, and a breast exam. There are disease that involve lymph nodes but this dose not sound like it is the case, however, an exam is warranted.
dt
dt
______________________
Please click accept to give answer credit. Bonuses and positive feedback highly appreciated and helpful in sustaining this service. Answers for informational and educational purposes only.
Experience: Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc