Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.
5101698

time..and what heart rate would they try to achieve for me at 61

Customer Question

I would like to try and simulate a stress test on my treadmill..It is a medical grade treadmill so I could certainly meet the criteria..I am 61 a female do regular cardio about 5 to 6 days a week basically walking briskly at a 4mph pace then every few minutes i jog at 4.5 or so for a minute or 2..may do 15 min elliptical afterwards to finish the hour..jusst at a programmed level...at what pace do they start the test how long before they increase the speed and how much of a gradient do they do each time..and what heart rate would they try to achieve for me at 61? Just thought I would see how difficult it would be for me ..
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Salar replied 4 years ago.
this is very dangerous to do at home. it can lead to heart attack n angina. i will strongly recommend against it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have had a cardiac work up recently with ekg and echo my heart is structurally sound .. i do have pacs isolated from time to time but that is it..basically if you could just give me a general idea of how fast and at what gradient that would be great i would hold on to the front of the tread as to not fall ..i have run before at 5mph for a couple of min so i'm not a wimpy 61 yr old
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Can I ask why you want to do a " do it yourself" stress test?

Dr Jef

PS - please treat this answer as an " info request" - I posted in response to your "answer" above and can only post an " answer" in reply.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I hear my friends talking about how they had taken a stress test and basically i just wondered how difficult it would actually be given my exercise regime..so curious i guess.just wanted to see if i would get out of breath or if it wouldn't be that difficult..
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Thanks

So you have no history of chest pains?

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No..... none.. the only thing i have are pacs which have taken me to the cardio to see why i have been having them more frequently..that is why he did ekg and echo ..and said heart was structurally normal..only thing was a mild diastolic dys and a slight wall thickening very slight again proably common for 61..he was not alarmed. which he questioned may have been inaccurate since i had no signs of fatigue or exercise fatigue..he said lots of people have pacs frequently but do not even know they have them i happen to know everyone i have..I know that the diastolic dys is common finding as we get older and he said it carries the same mortality as a normal ...blood lipids good ldl 125 hdl 85 trigly 63..no cardiac risks not smoker drinker(occassional) etc..noone in family ever died of heartattack ....mother with angina in her late sixties lived to be 92..father died age 83 from cerebral hem..brothers sisters no health issues sis 77 brother 72 other than brother has cholestral issues..so what do you think? The cardio said he doubted the findings had anything to do with the pacs..
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

A full stress test is quite tough.

It if you are on a treadmill the first 30-60seconds are slow then it very rapidly builds up to a very intense workout.

Be aware that the purpose is to push you to achieve your maximal heart rate ( approx 220 - your age ) - so for you that would be about 160 beats per minute - this can only be achieved by increasing the speed as well as the incline at which you are running.

The heart rate is monitored to see if you are achieving your max heart rate - on a full stress test I expect that you would mange 6 - 8 minutes only.

The tests that you have had already by your cardiologist do not exclude you from having ischaemic heart disease - so if you have this then trying to do your own stress test may precipitate chest pains.

If you are interested in pushing yourself more physically then the best place to do this would be your local gym under advice form a suitably qualified instructor.

I am sure that you can do more that the low intensity that you participate in at present.

Dr Jef

Please get back to me if you need to.

http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Exercise-ECG-Testing.htm

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what is ischemic heart disease ?? I have never had high blood pressure and shortness of breath...do you think the findings on echo are unusual for my age? What about pacs in your opinion increasing at this age without any other symptoms yes i do drink some caffine but i don't think it increases them greatly..I will def pay more for this long answer session! and the mild dyst func? It was a mobile echo that my primary care had done at her office ..are they always so accurate? and couldn't my extreme nervousness at the time fast heart rate etc have caused this mild function thing at the time??
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Ischaemic heart disease - this is when the arteries that take blood to the heart become narrowed - this can result in angina , heart attacks etc.

I would not worry about pacs - I assume you mean ectopic heartbeats when you say this? Unless you have an structural abnormality on your echo ( you do not ) they are clinically irrelevant - but can cause anxiety.

I am not an expert on diastolic dysfunction but it is a common finding as we get older especially in those with hypertension. Your cardiologist is clearly happy with your echo and I have no reason to give you a different answer.

Dr Jef

Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.