Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.

you go to get an accurate blood test for lyme disease

Customer Question

where do you go to get an accurate blood test for lyme disease, where would you send the blood draw to and how much do you need?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

In suspect Lyme you should really attend an infectious disease unit.

The most common tests are antibody tests to search for IgG / IgM antibodies to the Lyme parasite.

The CDC guidelines on diagnostic testing are a little complex..

The current recommendation from the CDC is for a 2-step testing process.

• The first step in patients with symptoms consistent with Lyme disease is to obtain an antibody titer. This can be either a total Lyme titer or separate immunoglobulin G (IgG) and immunoglobulin M (IgM) titers.
  • The second step is to confirm positive titers with a Western blot. For IgM blots, if any 2 of the following 3 bands are positive, the test is positive: 23 kd, 39 kd, and 41 kd. For IgG blots, any 5 of the following bands are considered a positive test result: 18, 21, 28, 30, 39, 41, 45, 58, 66, and 93 kDa.
  • In the absence of treatment, patients continue to produce IgM antibodies long after the initial infection. Thus, patients may have both IgM and IgG antibodies concurrently.
  • While some authors recommend other bands and bypassing antibody titers, no other testing recommendations are available from other national organizations.
  • In patients who have not been in endemic areas, the false-positive and false-negative rates of these tests reduce the likelihood that the predictive values of the results would be helpful.

Dr Jef

Please get back to me if you need to.

Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I still need to know where does my promary dr send the lab they can draw in house like the cbc,, right or is it done else where and sent to a special labe who does look for the lyme antigens/antibodies/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hell jeff i leave here in one hour for dr just checking you still working on lab info
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
jeff the info is good on confirming the lyme but what is the right lab to do the testing so they know to report all bands thanks for being patient but i want to get this done right the first time your expertise appreciated
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I got to go so let me pay you thus far and print this info for my Dr but let me know on the lab location please thankyou keeper3
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Sorry

Lunchtime here and I was out of my office at a meeting!

The samples can be drawn in your Dr's office - and immunology lab can do the testing - your own Dr will have a lab that he/she uses.

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi I don't know thar I owe anything more and did have to go Iwaited as long as I could.

I was able to get a good Dr to listen today and he did do a blood test but not the lyme saids too costly and that the bite site and symptoms are good for now and put on doxycycline 2 x day for 28 days. and to check organ enzymes for elvated before want to do ultra sound. any way thanks again for being here sign off keeper3

Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Glad you got things sorted out.

For sure you do not owe any more!

Dr Jef

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This will probaly be last time i write, talked to man with lyme not diasnosed for 2 ys boy this not good. gonna do the Dr antiboitc prob 2 yr and do my blood builder regime he shared with me and knowledge I know from my practice (natural health consultant,manual lyphm drainage and cranial sacral release) plus what I rreseached in my nutrition to keep blood healty. it is really running rampant in me my organs tired bp going up energy waning, any way thanks again on your concern and help tues. got to go lay down bye