Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917
Medical

I accidentally took 4 Ibuprofen PM instead of 2. I thought

I accidentally took 4 Ibuprofen... Show More
I accidentally took 4 Ibuprofen PM instead of 2. I thought I was taking regular Ibuprofen. Do I need to go to the emergency room?
Category: Medical
replied 6 years ago.

Do you take any other medications?

Dr Abby
Customer reply replied 6 years ago.
No! I took 7.5 mg Deplin and 2 Robitussin capsules used for cough before bed at 10 PM. It is now 4 AM. I have an earache and a sore throat and that is why I was taking Ibuprofen in the first place. I just didn't put on my glasses and thought I had the regular Ibuprofen. I have never done this before and am very embarrassed. I realize it is going to make me very sleepy. I just want to know if it is too much!
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD replied 6 years ago.
Yes, you will be sleepy but you should be ok with the extra 2 doses of the ibuprofen PM.

Don't take any more ibuprofen for 8 hours.
The maximum amount of diphenhydramine in 24 hours is 400 mg so you are well within that limit.

Be careful if you need to drive, perhaps have someone drive today if you need to go anywhere within the next 8 hours.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions and I will be happy to answer them for you,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!