Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have just been informed my i.n.r is 1.6 is this dangero

I have just been informed my i.n.r is 1.6 is this dangerous?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

The normal range for the INR is 0.8–1.2.

The result for a prothrombin time performed on a normal individual will vary depending on what type of analytical system it is performed. This is due to the differences between different batches of manufacturer's tissue factor used in the reagent to perform the test. The INR was devised to standardize the results.
Each manufacturer assigns an ISI value (International Sensitivity Index) for any tissue factor they manufacture. The ISI value indicates how a particular batch of tissue factor compares to an internationally standardized sample. The ISI is usually between 1.0 and 2.0.
The INR is the ratio of a patient's prothrombin time to a normal (control) sample, raised to the power of the ISI value for the analytical system used.

WHO recommends a 1.0 to 1.6 ratio. If you're taking warfarin and your INR falls within this range, it's considered acceptable.

An increased prothrombin time test result indicates your blood is taking too long to clot. If you're taking blood thinners, your doctor will adjust the dose of the medication until your INR is in the right range. If you're not taking blood thinners, it may suggest liver problems, such as hepatitis or cirrhosis. To further investigate possible liver conditions, additional blood tests such as a complete blood count and liver tests such as albumin and bilirubin tests may be needed.

Wish you a healthy life ahead. God bless
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience: Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.