Dr.Amita, Doctor
Experience:  MD.Extensive knowledge of medicine.

What does a high sed rate mean (34)

What does a high sed rate mean (34)?
Why are you taking the above mentioned drugs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Long story. But I had a severe side effect to flagyl about 3 1/2 years ago, and having my gall bladder removed and the came down with CDIF. Every since, I have had nuerapothy in my thighs and up my back and into my head. A rhuematiod doctor has diagnosed me with RA, fybromalagia, and chronic fatigue. Two different nuerologist said I didn't have pirephial nueropothy. I haven't seen the nueroloagist in over 2 years. Never had a MRI of the neck of head, but still get the electrical pulses 24/7.
ESR is high in inflammatory conditions and also in auto immune diseases like RA, multiple myeloma , temporal arteritis etc.
Your level is moderately raised which can be due to infection or is also seen in people being treated with methotrexate to see the response rate.

Edited by Dr.Amita on 3/1/2010 at 7:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is ESR?
ESR is erythrocyte sedimentation rate. It is the rate at which RBC ppt in a period of 1 hr. It is a non specific marker of inflammation.